Focaccia has been on my baking To Do list since… umm forever. I am constantly walking past focaccia at the grocery store thinking, “I can totally make that myself…” and I don’t buy it.
Am I the only one that does that? I refuse to buy finished products while grocery shopping for the sole reason of being able to make it at home. Even if it’s something that takes approximately 3 days to make from scratch, I’ll still ponder over it. Why do I do this to myself? Isn’t that why there are such things as grocery stores, to give us a little convenience? And where does it end? Soon I won’t be buying butter just because I could possibly start churning it at home! No, please… let a little convenience in your life… it’s okay… trust me.
BUT! There’s nothing as satisfying as making something as extremely delicious as this focaccia from scratch. So on your weekend, take the challenge!
This Basil Pesto Focaccia is loaded with delicious, fresh ingredients! We’re making everything from scratch, including the pesto! Once you smell the aromatic basil mixed with garlic and butter you’ll realize that this focaccia was worth it in every way.
- For the dough:
- 2 packets of dried yeast
- 440 ml warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 120 ml olive oil
- 780 g flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 60 ml olive oil, to oil the bowl
- For the pesto:
- handful of fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- sea salt
- pine nuts
- olive oil
- 60 g (or half a stick) butter
- In the mixing bowl, combine to yeast and water. Let sit for about 5 minutes, until foamy.
- Add the sugar, olive oil, flour, and sea salt. Knead for 5-7 minutes.
- With the half of the second oil (30g), oil a separate bowl. Transfer the dough to the oiled bowl and let rise for about an hour.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto the high rimmed, OILED baking sheet. Press the dough out with your fingers. To create the indents typically seen in facaccia, lightly press your fingers into the dough.
- Let rise for about an hour.
- In the meantime, prepare the pesto and preheat the oven to 230 Celsius or 500 Fahrenheit.
- Combine the basil, garlic, sea salt, and pine nuts in a blender. Turn the blender on and stream in the olive oil until desired consistency is reached.
- Mix the finished pesto into the butter.
- Once the dough has risen, spread the pesto mixture over top the focaccia.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.