Cigarettes can be good?! Oh yes, chocolate ones…
I’m sure you’ve seen them before decadently lain on top of delicious pastries. Chocolate cigarettes are a sure fire way to top off your dessert. Because they are made with white and dark chocolate, they are always a good choice for dessert decorations. I, personally, love using them when I’m at work!
Guess what? They are not that difficult to make! You can do it too! So if I may, I have created my first video tutorial! Are you as excited as I am?!
You see what I mean how they go perfectly with everything? Not everything needs to be screaming with colors. Sometimes a simple decorations made from raw ingredients like plain white and dark chocolate make more of a statement than something that screams in your face, “look at me!”
Here is Baking My Way’s first ever video, please enjoy and look for the written tutorial underneath (also, don’t be afraid to give me a big thumbs up on YouTube!):
- White chocolate
- Dark chocolate
- Extra equipment:
- A flat, clean baking sheet
- A normal cake icing palette
- A spatula, preferably metal, with a straight edge
- A spatula with teeth, typically smaller size creates better results
- First, I stress using real chocolate for making decorations!
- Start by melting both the white and dark chocolate over water baths on the stove.
- Set up your station with all equipment listed above.
- Lay the baking sheet upside down.
- Once both chocolates are melted, pour a stripe of white chocolate out onto the baking sheet.
- With the palette, spread the chocolate very thinly, as seen in the video.
- Once you feel it beginning to harden, stop and scrape with the spatula with the teeth cut out.
- Clean up, by scraping the edges as well as the top and bottom of the stripes.
- Pour the melted dark chocolate on top of the white. Be careful not to do this too soon, as well not too late.
- Spread the dark chocolate with the palette, thinly until you feel the chocolate beginning to harden.
- Clean up the edges as well as the top and bottom.
- Now, here the difficult part: Timing.
- Let the chocolate sit for a second to slightly harden. You can always try testing a piece, too see if it has hardened enough, but is still soft enough to roll up.
- With the straight edge spatula, beginning from the top. Create the cigarettes by firmly and quickly pushing the chocolate away from you.
- You did it! Let harden and store in a cool, dry place.